Follow us as we travel this plant called Earth.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cajun Country-Memories

My youngest memories are traveling in the car with my sisters and brother to travel to "the country". We could never pick it out on a map but it was always a big deal because it took many hours in the car. We always knew we were close when the car was filled with an awful smell as we drove over the bridge in Baton Rouge.

My Mother and Father's family lived there and visited once or twice a year. My Aunt and Uncle had a big family and we loved them. Most of our female cousins were older than us and all very beautiful. As young girls we loved listening to their dating stories and watching as they dressed before they left with their friends.

My sister and I were closest to Paula who was our age, while my brother found plenty mischief to get into with Randy and Johnny. My Aunt Sybil was a fabulous cook who could bring any cable TV chef to shame. She would feed an army of us kids with little effort. My favorites were her pancakes with yummy cane syrup and her fish couvillion. Since she never used a recipe, I created my own recipe for this delicious dish.

Not all my childhood memories from "the country" were as fun. We went blackberry picking while visiting my Grandmother Hattie and Papa Ed (2nd marriage) in Crowley, Louisiana. It was hot, humid as all hell, but as kids we loved running around it.  Until.....we got home and felt the sting of red bugs all over our bodies. We were miserable. Still, I wouldn't trade my childhood memories with my cousins for anything.





- Posted by iPhone

Location:  Opelousas

No comments:

Post a Comment