Follow us as we travel this plant called Earth.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Universal Studios Orlando - Mardi Gras 2017


We had a wonderful girls trip to Universal Studios Orlando.  The four of us (grown daughter, 2 granddaughters & myself), were also celebrating my Older granddaughter Brooke's 18th Birthday and senior year of high school, my younger granddaughter's last year of elementary school before she graduates to Middle School and my only daughter's 38th birthday.  Since my older granddaughter leaves for college in the fall, it will become increasingly more difficult to plan these trips together.

We have been to Disney & Universal numerous times during the last 10 years but the last time the four of us visited the parks at the same times was Mardi Gras 2008.  WOW! They have grown into beautiful women!

We chose to stay at an on-site hotel this time, Cabana Bay Beach Resort.  The complimentary shuttle service from hotel to the park made our stay convenient.  Once we parked our car, it didn't move until we were ready to leave.  It also gave us the additional benefit of early entrance to park, giving us  an opportunity to ride the popular Harry Potter ride a few times each day before the wait times became too long. If Harry Potter is not high on your list of priorities, I would stay off site.

The Cabana Bay Beach Resort was very nice.  We had a poolside room with a wonderful view of the enormous water/pool areas.  The pool included sandy beach areas and a lazy river.  I was a little disappointed there wasn't a hot tub :(  The restaurant setup was very similar to the Disney resorts, including the food choices and the optional refillable mugs for purchase.  The refillable mug could only be used at the resort.  A separate mug had to be purchased at the amusement park if you wanted soda.  Our favorite food choices at the resort was the pizza, salad bar and Starbucks.

Things I would do differently:


  • I don't know if I would stay on the grounds again, the benefits are not as great as Disney.  
  • I would pack sandwiches for lunch.  My girls are picky eaters and weren't thrilled with the quick service choices
  • 2 days were enough, we should have used the 3rd day at Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment